It’s the holiday season, and along with all of the fun, comes the need to be aware of your personal safety as well as that of your property. One of the most dangerous places during the holiday season is the parking lot.
Criminal activity picks up this time of year. Most of the time it is theft of property, but in some instances it can be a personal attack. People are busy running to and fro and not paying attention as they normally would to their surroundings.
Keep these following safety tips for the parking lot in mind during this holiday season to protect not only your property, but also yourself.
- Be aware of your surrounding when shopping. Do not let anyone that you do not know to get close to you. Walk with a purpose and get to your car quickly.
- While walking to your car, pull your key out and be ready to get in quickly.
- Women should try not to carry over-sized purses that are easily grabbed.
- Glance underneath your car as you walk up. Thieves have been known to hide underneath cars waiting for the owner to approach.
- Glance in the back seat before you get in your car.
- Try to go shopping with a friend or family member. This is especially true for women. But men are not immune to being attacked either.
- Try to park in well lighted areas if you are shopping at night.
- It is best if you can go shopping during the daylight hours if at all possible.
- Do not leave valuable items in your car where they can easily be viewed. Try to put all valuables in your trunk, or at the very least, on the floorboard.
- If you are a woman, it is strongly encouraged that you get a security guard to follow you to your car if it is dark out and you are parked far from the store. This is especially true if you happen to be in a mall parking lot.
- Do not flash money while you are shopping.
- Women should refrain from wearing pony tails while shopping. According to interviews with prison inmates, women with long hair are more often targeted because they can be grabbed and controlled more easily. So keep your hair tucked under a hat or coat hood as much as possible while you do your shopping.
In short, take extra care to ensure that you are not an easy target. A thief wants an easy target where they can make an easy theft, and then leave without the fear of getting caught. Keep these parking lot safety tips in mind and make yourself a difficult target. Do not become a victim.